Challenge #14: TED Talk
Time: 30-45 minutes
Materials: your computer.
Watch this TED Talk to learn more about Combined Sewer Overflows and New York City. Based on what you learned in the video, answering the following questions:
1. In your own words, define a combined sewer system.
2. In your own words, define a combined sewer overflow.
3. In your own words, explain why we have combined sewer overflows.
4. What problems plague the Gowanus Canal, according to the video?
5. What is the first flush?
6. In your own words, explain Ate Atema’s solution to reduce CSOs in NYC.
7. Write a 1-2 paragraph reaction to the video as a whole. What did you learn? What surprised you? Did anything inspire you? Did anything confuse you? Post your reaction as a new Journal Entry.
Your job is complete when…
You’ve watched the video, answered the questions, written and posted a 1-2 paragraph reaction piece as a Journal Entry (be sure to include your name), and emailed your answers and reaction piece to email@example.com.